It’s a plain and simple fact that we've all had problems setting, sticking with and achieving our goals. If you are like me, you have probably looked at the accomplishments of others and said, “I wish I could do that" or "I wish I could be like that."
So, why do SOME people seem to get so much done, accomplish their goals and achieve their dreams? While some seem stuck?
And how have some people become so well prepared - when the whole idea of survival training and emergency preparedness can feel so overwhelming - especially if you are just getting started?
Well in today’s podcast Craig, Ben and I are going to help you tear down barriers to success and achieving your goals… AND - Help You Get on the Fast Track to Preparedness - by taking you step-by-step through a simple - yet transformational system called SMART Goals.
Welcome to THE SURVIVAL SHOW Podcast - where it’s our job to take you step-by-step through the mindset, skills, tactics and gear you need to survive almost any crisis, emergency or disaster - AND show you how to use the lessons you learn - TODAY - to thrive in your life - TOMORROW.
NOTE: Below are the actual podcast show notes. Listen to full podcast and follow along with the notes below. ~Enjoy!
Let's get started...
REVIEW: OBSTACLES to ACCOMPLISHING GOALS
- Lack of Vision
- Excuses / Laziness - “I’ll get a round to it”
- Money / Time
- “I WISH” Syndrome. I wish I could fly a plane. I wish I could play bass guitar like him Billy.
- Wasting Time - Living our lives vicariously through others - Netfilx, YouTube etc. - Social Media Surfing…
- Life Surfing - Just going with the flow
- Bad Habits / Sin
- Lack of Core Values or Life Priorities
- Genuine Lack of Confidence
- Habitually Breaking Commitments - EVEN to SELF
- Unrealistic Expectations
- Work Ethic Issues
- Entitlement / Poverty Mentality - Culture: Something for Nothing
- “Gear Head” Syndrome - I have lots of STUFF - this is Good Enough… Who needs training
- I can learn everything I need from YouTube.
- Microwave Culture / Get Rich Quick Culture: I can learn what I need when I need it…
- Many People SIMPLY Don’t Set or Know How to Set Goals - And they Give Up….
What Do You Need to Succeed in Accomplishing Anything Worthwhile?
- Will / Need
What Motivates Us to Action?
Powerful Positive and Negative Motivators
Marketers and the Media Uses these EVERYDAY Get you to: Buy Stuff - and - Do What They Want You to Do:
- Fear Of: Failure - Missing Out - Harm - Becoming Old - Loss of Something You Have
- Greed / Want / Need
- Love - Hate - Sex
- Exclusivity / Pride
- Power / Glory
- HIGHER Purpose - Duty / Honor / Responsibility - Self-Less Love
[SMART GOALS - Intro]
Why Are Goals Important?
By Nature Goals Well Conceived and Accomplished are Forward thinking and Hopeful in general and aid in helping us to progressively fulfill our purpose.
- Steps Toward Accomplishing Bigger Objectives and Goals
- Lead to Self Betterment
- Learn Valuable Skills
- Confidence Building
- Can make us better - more productive human beings
- Actively Taking Responsibility for Self
- Preparing for Future
- Pursuing Interests
Mission - Objective - Goals
Before we get into goals… it’s important to set a foundation for our goals so we are investing our time, talent and money in goals that are REALLY important.
This starts with a Mission or LIFE MISSION.
MISSION: Your mission guides the core of what you do and who you are.
- It’s important to consider that we are finite beings and have limitations in time and resources. So we must prioritize that which is most important.
Once you set a mission - you can determine whether your the goals that YOU THINK YOU WANT TO ACCOMPLISH are actually worth your time and energy.
To define your mission or purpose consider these questions…
- What, who is most important to you?
- What do you want to accomplish in your life?
- What foundational core values that you live by that you are not willing to compromise. What is the source or sources of BASELINE TRUTH? Good Example: Bible
- When you die, what do you want people to remember you for?
- What legacy are you building (or do you want to build) that you can leave behind for others to enjoy?
OBJECTIVE: General direction you want to go in. Outlines what you want be - or achieve in the future. Then set goals to achieve your objective. Objective is the top level goal.
Examples (Some too Broad Some Good): • To get my pilot’s license • To be a Blackbelt in Karate • To lose 5 pounds within two months so that I fit into my summer cloths better • To increase my disaster preparedness so that my family can comfortably survive for two weeks without electricity • To increase company sales by 20% in the next 12 months • To read the entire Bible through in a year.
** BEFORE YOU MOVE ON - Depending on your OBJECTIVE - you may find it helpful to run the idea past others you trust. A spouse, friend, mentor.
They will likely ask you about things you have not - or do not want to consider. Getting the perspective of others is VERY WISE!
S.M.A.R.T. GOALS: S - Specific / M - Measurable / A - Actionable / Attainable / R - Relevant / T - Time Bound
S - Specific:
Keep Goals SIMPLE and Specific. If a goal gets complicated - break it down into smaller goals.
What is the goal? State what you will do.
Example: I will do my first overnight camp out in the wilderness on June 11th and 12th.
M - Measurable:
How will you measure progress? Define success.
Example: I will pack on Friday and leave Friday afternoon. Hike 3 miles to camp. Set up and stay overnight. I will return and arrive home by Saturday night June 12th.
A - Attainable / Actionable:
Do you have the skills, resources, authority to attain the goal?
Example: I will ask Joe to help me prepare, pack and come with me on this trip. I will learn from Joe so that I can do this myself the next time and teach others.
R - Realistic / Relevant:
Given time, money, skills and other constraints is this goal a priority and can I reach it?
Example: I will ask Joe to give me a list of the gear that I need and will budget to purchase equipment between now and the day we leave.
T - Timely / Time Bound:
A goal without a deadline is just a dream! Deadlines and time goals mark our progress and help us to assess where we are in the process of achieving a goal.
Example: Goal - Deadline is preparing for, then leaving June 11th.
- Get Help - Involve others you trust in the planning and goal setting process.
- Celebrate WINs! - Reward your progress. Provide incentives along the way. Give yourself some grace if needed - but not too much.
- WRITE IT DOWN. We write down important things. Contracts - Bible - Constitution - Love Letters. This reminds us and provides intentional proof that we are commitment to accomplishing the goal.
- PRINT IT and keep it before you. Set reminders etc.
- SHARE IT - Share with someone you trust who will check in on you and see how you are doing. Call it accountability if you like.
- DO IT - Set a goal. Start today.
- We live in possibly the greatest time in all of history where anyone can achieve almost anything they set their heart and mind to.
- Expect challenges along the way. Everything seems easier in our minds and on paper than it usually works out in reality.
- Use the SMART Goal System - REVIEW S.M.A.R.T.
- Write Down 2 - 3 Important SMART Goals Today.
- Click Here to get our free SmartGoals Worksheet.
- Drop us a note
Get your goals in place and get in on at least ONE of these training opportunities we have for you. Oh, and here's some discounts (offers many end at anytime)...
- Tiny Guide - Use Code SurvivalShow25 for 25% off Tiny Guides @ UltimateSurvivalTips.com
- Tiny Survival Masterclass - Use Code TINY25 for 25% off masterclass - or any of our individual course for a limited time @ TinySurvivalMasterClass.com
- Craig's In-Person - Live Training Classes in Kentucky @ Nature Reliance School. Use Code TSSPODCAST for 20% off any availabel class @ https://naturereliance.org/collections/classes
- SMART Goals Worksheet - FREE! CLICK HERE
HBO / Help a Brother Out: Give us 5 STARS and a Review - Subscribe - Like - Share the Podcast…
Until Next Time - Keep It Simple - Stay Positive - and Be Sharp…