Listen to the Podcast: Click Here - Today my friend Creek Stewart (and I) are going pick up where we left off last time… in our Home Preparedness Series and discuss:
- The NEW surge in food (supply chain) issues AND shortages facing the USA. (and other countries) - HOW it may effect all of our lives… and most importantly how we can all prepare - now…
- 5 Gallon Bucket Food Storage: We’ll take you step by step through everything you need to know about how to quickly build your long-term bulk food storage including:
- Where to buy HIGH quality - low cost bulk foods.
- The simplest, most affordable (and effective) way to package your bulk food investment - so that it lasts 20 years.
- And a critical mistake that can ruin your stored food.
- And a lot more...
To Download Show Notes PDF: Click Here
Listen to the Podcast: Click Here
Links Mentioned in Podcast:
Get Tiny First Aid Guide and Save 20%…
It’s been a blessing to see it receive rave reviews and becoming a #1 NEW Release in First Aid over on Amazon - So to get this guide in your hands as soon as possible - go over to UltimateSurvivalTips.com and use CODE: FIRSTAID20 (at checkout) for 20% off Tiny First Aid Guides. Also check out David’s MSK-1 Knife and EDC Gear at Tiny Survival.com
Tiny First Aid Guide on Amazon
Visit Outdoor Core - Today’s Sponsor
Go check out today’s sponsors OutdoorCore.com (To Learn Outdoor Skills - Online) - or to Become an Instructor Yourself and Make Some Extra Jingle.
Visit Today’s Guest Co-Host - Creek Stewart
Go Check Out EVERYTHING Creek is Up To (and Grab His FREE Sprouting Course at: CreekStewart.com
The Disaster Ready Home (New Book by Creek Stewart) on Amazon
HARVEST RIGHT Freeze Dryers (Save Around $1,000) - Use this link to get FREE SHIPPING, a Premiere Pump Upgrade and a FREE Starter Kit of Bags, Oxygen Absorbers, Heat Sealer - Everything you need when you use this link: www.ultimatesurvivaltips.com/freeze
David’s Freezer Dryer Setup and “How to Video”: And for my full VIDEO review on YouTube - https://youtu.be/mMNr0ofO1Fk
CREEK! Welcome to the show brother.
MAIN TOPIC: Long Term Food Storage for Sheltering in Place: PART 2: A discussion and deeper dive into long term food storage and production options for uncertain times.
REMINDER: PART 1 focused on entry-level, easy to implement emergency food storage strategies for the average suburban home that require very little to no lifestyle change.
THIS PODCAST: PART 2 focuses on more robust food storage and production SYSTEMS that require more time, effort, and energy to implement.
PART 1 RECAP
- WHY Long-Term Food Storage?
- Importance of setting GOALS
- Rotation items from Grocery Store (1-3 year shelf life)
- Bulk Dry Goods
- Freeze Dried Foods
- We discussed MINDSET
BULK DRY GOODS
- Dried beans, lentils, pastas, grains, rice.
- Great option to gather a lot of food on a budget
- Where to get?
- GFS (restaurant supply stores)
- Country Life Naturals
- Must be repackaged if desired to last more than 3 years\
U.S. Food Supply Is Under Pressure, From Plants to Store Shelves. Article Link to Article
Bottom Line: Food and good supply chain is still fragile. Omicron sicknesses have made the problem worst. It may be months until store shelves are fully stocked again.
PACKAGING PROCESS – Step-By-Step HOW-TO (CREEK)
WHY Pack and Stack Food in 5 Gallon Buckets?
Discuss: "Set it and Forget It" vs. Everyday Kitchen Food Rotation (from Last Week).
REVIEW - 5 Enemies of your Long Term Food Storage:
- Active Biology: Critters, Bacteria, Bug
KEY: Eliminating first 4 threats prevents threat #5
STORAGE SUPPLIES NEEDED:
- 5 Gallon Bucket/s with Lids (Possibly Lid Wrench)
- Mylar Bags
- Oxygen Absorbers
PLASTIC 5-GALLON BUCKETS/ LIDS
- Where to get? Lowes, ULINE etc.
- Food Grade vs. Non-Food Grade
- Lids (Regular vs. Gamma Seal)
Note: Quality Rubber or Silicon Lid SEAL is VITAL (Many Cheap / Department Store - and Building Supply Stores DON’T Come with Lids or Lids with Seals. David's Source - ULINE
- Where to get?
- What size?
- What is MYLAR?
- Mylar vs. Plastic Bags - Mylar is Food Safe, Airtight - Heat Sealable
OXYGEN ABSORBERS - Size and Reasons for Using
5 GALLON BUCKET PACKAGING PROCESS - STEP BY STEP
Review Full Process in pages 43 - 55 in The Disaster Ready Home book.
FREE Instructional Video Link (from Creek): https://www.creekstewart.com/drh-food
Discussion: BULK FOODS are ingredients rather than whole meals so:
- Store Spices
- Print and Store Recipes with Bulk Food
- Practice Using Your Bulk Food
10 Reasons to Buy Prepackaged or Home Freeze Dry Food
If you enjoyed today’s EPISODE I would be honored if you would help us GET the word out by doing TWO things:
• Subscribe to this podcast - if you have not already done so… AND give US a SWEET 5 Star Review on Apple iTunes or Your Favorite Podcast Platform.
• And… please pay it FORWARD by sharing this Episode with your friends and loved ones via text, email or on social media. ITs free to do so and it’s a win, win win for everyone.
AND… Go check out today’s sponsors OutdoorCore.com (To Learn Outdoor Skills - Online) - or to Become an Instructor Yourself and Make Some Extra Jingle.
And don’t forget to go over to UltimateSurvivalTips.com where you can also grab today’s show notes - for FREE by clicking on the Podcast at the top of the page … AND while you’re there checkout my MSK-1 survival knife and my COMING SOON super secret NEW knife - PLUS - my custom designed EDC survival kits and take 20% off my NEW Tiny First Aid Guide by using CODE: FIRSTAID20 at check out…
All right everyone, thanks for Joining us today! We’ll see YOU next time… on the Survival Show Podcast.
And Remember to… Keep it simple, Be positive and Stay Sharp!